LOCAL INFORMATION AND EVENTS
Tetbury is an old market town and has historical roots back to the 600’s. It was an established town by the 1600’s and interestingly in 1633 the town of Tetbury was sold by its then owner Lord Berkeley to four local residents who were described as Feoffees in the legal bill of sale. This document also formalised the Thirteen, literally thirteen townsfolk to serve as elected town wardens. Today the Feoffees have charitable status owning a number of sites in and around town. They continue to this day as seven Feoffees, supported by the Thirteen. They are custodians of the town who work voluntarily for the good of Tetbury. The Market House was built in 1655. By the 18th and 19th Century its primary trade was in wool. It remained a trading place rather than an industrial town due to the size of the rivers and local topography.
It is set in the picturesque countryside of the Cotswolds with easy access to numerous walks, woods, and holsteries.
Market days are Wednesday and Saturday and a French Market is held once a month on a Friday. There are a number of other events, craft events and trading events on other days during the year. The town today is famous for it’s numerous antique shops which offer a wide variety of quality items.
Highgrove shop offers high quality produce and products from the Highgrove Estate which is located just outside of Tetbury.
For up to date information on local events go to http://www.cotswolds.info/places/tetbury.shtml
Up and coming Events:
- Cheltenham Festival 14th – 17th March 2017
- Cheltenham Poetry Festival 5th – 14th May 2017 www.cheltenhampoetryfest.co.uk
- Cheltenham Jazz Festival 26th April – 1st May 2017
- Chipping Camden Music Festival 1st – 16th July 2017 or Chipping Camden Music Festival for other events see http://cotswolds.com/whats-on/music
- Wool Sack Race Day 29th May 2017
- Tetbury Music Festival 28th September to 1st October 2017
Notable Events in the area include:
- Cheltenham Festival http://www.cheltenham.co.uk/fixtures/the-festival/
- Badminton Horse Trials http://www.badminton-horse.co.uk/
- Highgrove Open Garden http://www.highgrovegardens.com/garden-tours.html
- Royal Bath and West Country Show http://www.bathandwest.com/royal-bath-west/97/
- Concerts at Westonbirt http://www.forestry.gov.uk/music
- Cotswold Country Fair http://www.cotswoldshow.co.uk/
- Bath Christmas Fair http://www.bathchristmasmarket.co.uk/bath-christmas-market
There are a number of good quality places to eat and drink including:
For lunches or an early coffee http://www.cafe53.co.uk/
Or just outside Tetbury you could try these nearby eateries http://www.troublehousetetbury.co.uk/index.html and
For Courses and Retreats check:
Ruskin Mill www.rmt.org
Near by towns of offering wide variety of shops, services and tourist attractions including a number of festivals and events include: